Wednesday 26 January 2011

Skills Workshop 1

For our first task we were asked to use A5 pieces of paper and play about with different techniques and explore different forms you could make using one bit of paper and nothing else.


This was my first attempt and I wanted to keep it very simple so I could get the hang of working with paper. I think it is effective and I like the shape that I created with the paper.


With my second attempt I wanted to complicate it a bit more and remove sections of the paper from the middle. I cut in 2 curved lines and I like the way you can see into the paper sculpture.




For this model I didnt use a craft knife I just ripped the paper as I wanted to see what it would look like with a rough edge. This model is also symmetrical as I folded opposite corners. I think the shape is simplistic and works well. I like the curved edges of the model.


Here I used a craft knife and cut strips of paper and curved them round. Again it is a simple technique and looks effective. I prefer the second picture Itook of it as it shows the curved strips of paper better and I like the shadows that have been created.



With all of the models I have taken pictures from different angles to show the different shadows and capture the best view of it.

For our second task we had to pick a model we had made and using the same technique create other versions of it but change things about it for example where we positioned the slits to hold the paper together or shapes. I chose to look at my model that used symmetry and create other forms like it.


Here instead of ripping stips of paper I ripped a triangle and still folded opposite corners. I like the way the ripped edge runs down the centre of the model.




I also really like this model as all the edges are ripped so it gives it a rough look.


I like the curves and shadows in this model and the straight slick edges which gives a completely different look if you compared it to a model where I have ripped the edges.


At home I decided to create a few more models using coloured card and create shadows using my desk lamp. I think these work really well as the dark shadows accentuate the curves in the models.



This last model was simply created by cutting the card and scoring the edges so it could be folder.

No comments:

Post a Comment